Text size: A A A


What do I need to do to get married at the Court?

In order to be married at the 62-B District Court, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Marriage Counseling. You must complete a marriage counseling class. See below.
  • Photo Identification. Bride, Groom, and Witnesses must provide a valid photo ID at the time of the ceremony.
  • Marriage License. You must obtain a marriage license from the county clerk and bring it with you at the time of the ceremony. Apply for the marriage license 3-33 days before your wedding.  See below.
  • Witnesses. You must have two witnesses 18 years or older with valid photo id on the day of your marriage ceremony.
  • Arrival Time. You must arrive at the courthouse 15 minutes before your scheduled time.
  • Fees. You must provide $10 the day of the scheduled wedding.

What type of Marriage Counseling?

In order to ensure couples get pre-marital guidance, the Court requires that all couples complete some marriage counseling.  For your convenience, the Court has approved the Keys for Couples course provided by Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services and Thriveworks provided by Grand Rapids Counseling.  However, you may complete a marriage course of your choice provided that it is substantially similar in terms of topics covered in the Keys for Couples course.

If you choose your own marriage counseling class, then you must submit to the court a letter from the organization.  The letter must contain the following items:  the letterhead of the organization, state that you have completed the course, a brief description of the course, and it must be signed by an official of the organization.

If you elect to use Keys for Couples, you must contact them directly.  Keys for Couples will send the court the appropriate documents.  Keys for Couples’ contact information:

“Keys for Couples”
Postma Center
Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services
300 68th Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
(616) 222-4530 

If you elect Thriveworks, you must contact them directly. Thriveworks will send the court the appropriate documents. Thriveworks contact information:

4079 Park East Court SE, Ste C
Grand Rapids, MI  49546
(616) 425-2176

When Can I Schedule a Marriage Ceremony?

Before a marriage ceremony is scheduled, you must complete a marriage counseling course, as described above. All marriage ceremonies are scheduled as follows:
  • Judge Kelly performs marriages on Fridays after 4:00 pm.
  • Magistrate White performs marriages on Wednesdays.

Where do I get a Marriage License?

The Kent County Clerk’s Office issues marriage licenses.  You must have a wedding scheduled in order to apply for a license.  You can may apply on line for a marriage license at the Kent County Clerk's Office or you contact the Kent County Clerk’s Office by phone at (616) 632-7640. There is a three day waiting period to obtaining a license after submitting an application. The fee is $20 for Michigan residents and $30 for non-residents.

Who Qualifies as a Witness?

All witnesses to marriages must be at least 18 years old.  They must have valid photo identification at the time of the marriage ceremony. 

Any Special Wedding Amenities?

For all our weddings, we place the couples name on our announcement monitor at the Court House.  Great opportunity for photos!  In addition, weather permitting, you may have your wedding ceremony in our private outdoor courtyard.