Text size: A A A

File a Police or Accident Report

If you have an emergency, you should always call 9-1-1. Non-emergency police reports can be taken in three (3) ways:
  • At your request, an officer will be sent to your location to take a report.
  • You can reach our non-emergency number by calling 616-698-6580.
  • If you are near the Police Department, you may stop in and an officer will be dispatched to the office.
  • For your convenience, citizens can self-report online through out CopLogic reporting system. To be directed to this system please click here.

Request a Copy of a Report

Persons wishing to obtain a copy of a police or accident report may come to the Kentwood Police Department during business hours. The cost is $6.00. You may also send a check for $6.00 with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please include the report number. The report will be mailed to you.

Register your Firearm

Purchase permits for firearms may be picked up during business hours. Please bring a picture ID as this entails a background check. If you are purchasing from a business that is a Federal Firearm Licensed Dealer (such as Gander Mountain or most gun shops), you do not need to come to our office. If you are purchasing from a private party, you need to obtain a permit during business hours. This will include a background check and require you to sign your purchase permit attesting that the information you provided to us is true. It will then be notarized by the Records Bureau at a cost of $5.00. After the purchase of the firearm, return the appropriate copy of the purchase permit to the Kentwood Police Department.

Background Checks

You may obtain a copy of your own City of Kentwood arrest record by coming in to the Kentwood Police Department. The fee for this service is $6.00. Please note that only Kentwood records are checked. You may obtain a copy of your criminal history convictions in the State of Michigan by calling (517)-322-1956.

Sex Offender Registration

If you are required by law to register and verify as a sex offender, please report to the Kentwood Police Department, 4742 Walma Ave SE, Monday thru Friday during normal business hours, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. If you fail to appear on the specified dates that you received upon conviction, you are in violation and we will seek additional criminal charges against you.

Freedom of Information Act

Requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) may be done in person during business hours at our Records Bureau, or by faxing your request to 616-698-6460. There may be additional costs for processing these requests. We do not release information on cases currently under investigation.