Text size: A A A
APPROVED MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
OF THE KENTWOOD CITY COMMISSION
HELD NOVEMBER 15, 2016
Mayor Stephen Kepley called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Commissioner Haas led the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
Father Michael Nasser of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church gave the invocation.
Roll Call: Present: Commissioners: Betsy Artz, Michael W. Brown, Robert Coughlin, Erwin Haas, Jerry DeMaagd, Steve Redmond and Mayor Stephen Kepley.
Staff Present: IT Manager Matt Anderson, City Engineer Tim Bradshaw, Finance Director Tom Chase, Police Chief Tom Hillen, City Clerk Dan Kasunic, Fire Chief Brent Looman, Assistant Finance Director Lorna Nenciarini, Deputy Administrator Mark Rambo, Community Development Director Terry Schweitzer, Fire Department Administrative Assistant Nancy Shane, City Attorney Jeffrey Sluggett and DPW Supervisor Jim Wolford.
Twenty (20) citizens and members of the news media attended the meeting.
Motion by Artz, seconded by Brown, to approve the agenda.
ACKNOWLEDGE VISITORS AND NON-AGENDA ITEMS:
District Representative Democratic candidate thanked everyone for his run for office even though he did not win.
(All items under this section are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion with no discussion. If discussion is desired by a Commission member, that member may request removal of an item from the Consent Agenda.)
Motion by Artz, seconded by Haas, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
- Receive and file minutes of the Committee of the Whole Meeting held on November 1, 2016 with corrections regarding stormwater policy and Commissioner’s Haas’s comment on sidewalks.
- Resolution 47–16 requesting the revocation of Industrial Facilities Exemption Certificate Nos. 09-065, 12-111 and 2013-232 issued to Accord Packaging LLC.
- Resolution 48–16 requesting the revocation of Industrial Facilities Exemption Certificate Nos. 05-028, 08-378 and 2013-050 issued to Advantage Label and Packaging, Inc.
- Resolution 49–16 to establish City Policy regarding public payment for stormwater sewer infrastructure under certain circumstances.
- Receive and file August 31, 2016 General Revenue & Expenditure Report.
- Receive and file Cash and Pooled Investments report for September 30, 2016.
- Payables for the City totaling $921,053.70
Roll Call Vote: Yeas: All. Nays: None. Absent: None.
Motion by DeMaagd, seconded by Brown, to approve the minutes
of the November 1, 2016 City Commission Meeting.
PRESENTATIONS AND PROCLAMATIONS:
OATH OF OFFICE TO POLICE OFFICERS NATHAN TURMELL AND JARED HUNDEY.
Police Chief Hillen introduced the new Police Officers. City Clerk Kasunic administered the Oath of Office to Police Officers Nathan Turmell and Jared Hundey. They introduced family and friends who were present.
THE RAPID 2016 UPDATE.
The Rapid’s Jennifer Kalczuk, External Relations Manager and Michael Bulthuis, Public Outreach Coordinator presented a 2016 Rapid update.
AUTHORIZE PURCHASE OF THREE MICROSOFT TABLETS FROM SOUTHERN COMPUTER WAREHOUSE AND 21 DELL RUGGEDIZED TABLETS FROM ZONES, INC. FOR USE IN VARIOUS CITY DEPARTMENTS.
IT Manager stated this is an annual purchase.
Motion by Redmond, seconded by DeMaagd, to authorize the purchase of three Microsoft tablets from Southern Computer Warehouse at a cost for $5,277.45 and 21 Dell ruggedized tablets from Zones Inc. at a cost of $43,081.02 for a total expenditure of $458,358.47, with funds from the FY 2016-17 Property and Building , Police and Fire Equipment Fund budgets.
COMMENTS OF COMMISSIONERS AND MAYOR:
Commissioner DeMaagd-Thanked the City Clerk for administering this election.
Mayor Kepley-Reminded everyone of the Santa Parade December 3rd
, Wing Avenue open house December 5th
, Volunteer Christmas Dinner December 8th
, Tree Lighting Ceremony December 9th
, and the Kent County DPW second update on methane collection system of the landfill.
Community Development Director Schweitzer-Reminded the commission of the Joint Meeting with the Planning Commission on November 29th
regarding Form Based Codes.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:59 P.M.
Dan Kasunic Stephen C.N. Kepley
City Clerk Mayor